Rose bubble anemone care

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Definitely not out of the woods yet.....but don't give up...

It is looking better today from those photos.

Best,
Ilham

The sick one

Yep your anenome is definitly sick. Notice the deteriation of the pedal disk where the tenticals are...if it doesn't close up soon it will only get worse. I wish there was some bandade to put on him. If you put him in a main tank right now the bristle worms and bugs in the water would be eating him from in that open spot so it is defintly good that you have him in a quaratine tank.

He may have about 2-3 day ...either gets worse or better during this time.
hope he gets better!
:)

Update

Ok, 24 hours since the last picture and he's looking worse again. I did another 15% water change and swapped out half of the carbon. We'll see how he looks tomorrow. Looks like his guts are hanging out.

View attachment 14450

tagging along on this thread to follow the updates. Keep the pics coming, good or bad. They are beneficial for us to see what your progress is. Just for kicks, can you post your water parameters for reference?

A couple of things. I'm very glad you have this anemone in QT. IMO, you would have had a mess on your hands if it was in the display. Secondly, I'm glad you are asking questions, and posting pictures. I think you are helping many people with this thread. And, before we all go out and start fragging RBTAs with scissors, as indicated for use in a previous post, here is what Anthony Calfo had to say about using scissors:

Anthony Calfo said:
To make a truly responsible effort here... let us encourage folks to do this with a sharper single edged blade (less collateral damage with a scalpel or X-acto knife) and in species specific prop tanks only. My opinions about the unnatural keeping of anemones in tanks with coral (let alone propagating them) is well documented on most every message board I've ever participated on if anyone is interested to do a keyword search and followup.

From the thread: Guide to Fragging RBTA

Thanks for the encouragement Nikki. As a friend of mine said, an anemone is made up almost entirely of water. Who knows what's in that water, right? That was my reasoning for QT'ing this guy. From everything I've read, keeping corals and anemones in inadequate QT lighting is just fine for short periods.

And you're right, the junk that came out of this guy after I got him was really nasty stuff; my skimmer went nuts. Very glad he was not in the main tank.

Actually I haven't fed him yet. To tell you the truth it doesn't look like he's interested in eating and I can't even see the mouth because of all the disentegrated tissue. I'm thinking about feeding him soon though.

NaH2O said:
tagging along on this thread to follow the updates. Keep the pics coming, good or bad. They are beneficial for us to see what your progress is. Just for kicks, can you post your water parameters for reference?

KH (alk): 11.5 dKH (4.11 meq/L)
pH: 8.4
SG: 1.027
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Nitrite: 0.15 ppm
Ammonia: 0

Looks like nitrite is a little high today so I'll do a larger water change. My cheap bio filter in the QT is probably not adequate and I will be upgrading it in the future.

FYI the QT is 29 gallons.

Last edited:
NaH2O said:
A couple of things. I'm very glad you have this anemone in QT. IMO, you would have had a mess on your hands if it was in the display.

IMO, QT'ing an anemone can also have bad effects on the actual animal. I'm going to leave that at that, but there are two sides to that. I actually don't recommend QT'ing anemones, but I will leave it at that. I'd rather not post, and answer why via PM. I'm sure possible flames will go my way.

Best,

Ilham

IMO, QT'ing an anemone can also have bad effects on the actual animal. I'm going to leave that at that, but there are two sides to that. I actually don't recommend QT'ing anemones, but I will leave it at that. I'd rather not post, and answer why via PM. I'm sure possible flames will go my way.

no one is flaming unless they're eating hot sauce.
I just think that it'd be nice to know about how and what to do when things like this happen since we all don't have the experience... just my opinion.

I'll post the info i just sent today....fire away....

Regarding feeding, i sent to SlickDonkey:
Hikari Mysis, feed only 1 whole mysis at a time for now, and see how it reacts. DO NOT PUSH IT DOWN its mouth...or force feed it. If it doesn't stick, stop feeding and just wait.

Best,
Ilham

Regarding why QT'ing an anemone is not the way to go...IMO...sent to SlickDonkey:
Hi Brian.

IME/IMO, rose anemones can live forever under your 2x65W lighting (given it not all by actinics). I have some under 1x55W PC that all thrive, but they are all very close to the water, about 3-4" from the water surface of the water.

Lighting has nothing to do with the QT process. Even adding the anemone directly from this 'process' to your main tank can kill it, since I believe you have halides under the main tank (if of course, there is no 'ease in' period).

THerefore, a number of things can affect and damage rose anemones and other anemones negatively. When you do move this anemone to your main tank, I'm guessing you will adjust the light as appropriate for it until it adjusts to the metal halide again.

The usual QT consists of really 'new' or 'relatively new' water. IMO, your tank is definitely young, much too young for anemone. Just my opinion of course, and as such, i wouldn't have placed an anemone in it until at least 5-6 months. However, again, not a lot of people take this the right way. It is hard to make a lot of people happy, since there are always those that think you're wrong, and some that agree with you (or me in this case).

So in this case, the newer water (which still may be caustic from the newly mixed salt) will damage the anemone further. There is no need to expose a 'healthy' anemone (the term healthy is subjective for all of us, and i'll talk about that in a little bit) to an environment that will decrease its health.

Ok, 'healthy'. What I mean by this is the homework you do at the petstore/or whatever place you get the anemone from. Foot not torn, never buy an anemone deflated, never buy an anemone that is floating around in a tank......never buy one with an open mouth...and not buy one that is bleached or severely bleached. Those are just the basics, and if all those are in check, then subjectively, one can say the anemone that was just purchased is deemed 'healthy'. Do we know for sure, of course not, but with the data in the hobby, those are the cues to look for in picking up an anemone.

It is always assumed that someone 'getting' an anemone is getting a 'healthy one'. In this case, why QT? If it is not healthy, why buy it in the first place? (again I'm not really concerned whether people agree with me or not, as i'm sure some do, and some don't, and some have their own views).

Then again, there are some of us, like me, who start up tanks 'just' for anemones. In this case, aging the tank and placing the anemone first maybe what you can 'call' QT'ing the anemone. This, however, isn't done for at least 3-4 months, and preferably 6+months. One thing that has been experimented with is "dipping" anemones. Slightly damaged anemones may benefit from dipping or short bath, but not an actual QT where meds are used and administered. In doing tanks as these, the system to be are fishless and invertebrate less, other than the anemone itself, and sand, live rocks, or the like. In this case, if you are worried about ICH, or other parasites in the water, it will not harm any fish. The system is run fallow of fishes for about 2 months or more and letting the anemone thrive. This should always be the case because clownfishes can wreak havoc to newly arriving anemones, and again this declines the health and general status of the animal.

Let me see if this will go through. It may be too long...but I have other info to add as well probably a bit later....i'm still at work

Best,
Ilham

Best,
Ilham

now Thank you !!!
I think this is not only gonna help me but others as well as i see many people getting this type of anemones all the time.

Elmo - thanks for sharing that. It gives me clues on what to look for in an anemone which hopefully I'll add down the road.

I see your point about not QTing an anemone.

Brian,

Did you ever figure out exactly WHEN your poor Anemone started its downward spiral? The reason that I'm asking... the pictures you showed sure look to me as if it got caught in a Power Head. I know, you've taken steps now to cover the intakes with some type of foam... but if I read this thread correctly, they wern't covered in the beginning???

All things being equal, I'm trying to understand the cause of what happened here. Hopefully, understanding the cause can help people in their future... and if the worse happens, they can see a time line, and recovery phase here also!

Back