Scooties Project "X"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me try this!

Dori-2.jpg

Nice!!!! Keep on taking them. The best thing about digital is the delete function!

Actually I like this one better Charlie, you just can't see the resolution because it is shot down.

Dori-3.jpg

Today I added an Eheim 1262 pump for the return & just have the big pump by-passed. I know Eheim makes a 1264 but haven't seen them available here just yet but from what I see I like. This pump is in the sump & hard plumbed into the main return line that supplies the chiller & the main tank through two outlets. It is silent & pumps out just about enough, after all the headaches of having too much return pump I think I'll end up selling the Sequence Whaoo & just getting another Eheim as a back-up. I'll soon be adding the two AC fans to vent the hood. I have to drill two 4 1/2" holes up top & mount them, they will suck air out of the hood. I also relocated a 6" fan to blow directly across the tank surface In hopes of better cooling. My goal is to run the chiller as little as possible & only in the summer If I can. With the new pump It will consume half the power as the larger pump, running 24/7 that should lower the lighting bill along with running the chiller less. I'll post picks when I get the fans installed with the details & wiring. I ran my skimmer a while but think I may just go back without it, I may get a smaller recirculating skimmer. I really don't think I need it but the jury is still out on that. With the way Detritus collects in the sump It seems easier to just suck it out every other week & not mess with the skimmer. When I sell off Dori & get just smaller fish my bio-load will be very small, all I want is busy small fish & SPS in the tank nothing loaded down that required heavy maintenance. I'm set up to do wc's easy & fast, top off once ever other week or so & use a sock to polish the water alone with running carbon. I will be giving away my phosphate/carbon reactor in lieu of getting a small canister reactor, so anyone with a little skills in repairing acrylic is welcome to get the reactor as long as they pay shipping, need minor work & is given as is no warranty! :D Later I'll sell the big pump & probably the custom skimmer for something smaller.

Sounds like you got it all figured out Scooty! :D So the Eheim really rocks then??? That will be the brand I will use as much as possible in the next setup I do from all the good I've heard of them :)

No can't say that I have it all figured out, go re-read all of this thread LOL I had to re-do so many things it isn't funny but yes so far this pump is silent, pumps well & temps dropped way down, I think It will reduce the need for a chiller a good bit, probably just cycle a few times a day during the heat of summer, lets hope so.

Well, between tonight & Saturday, I'll be re-plumbing the sump return once again LOL!
I don't need the Sequence Uno series pump anymore so I'll be removing it completely & plumbing the Eheim all 1" Instead of 3/4". This should get me less restrictions & a little more flow, those Union ball-valves are reduced to 5/8" inside diameter & right now have more 90's than I need. This is cool because now i will have more space in the sump area. I also came up with a solution with my huge carbon/phosphate reactor, It is a simple fix & I'll post up on that later, I have several things unfinished on this tank but I'll get it knocked out eventually.

Well I'm slacking on pics but after it clears up tomorrow I'll post up a few pics of all the removed plumbing & what I have now, I went up on the recommended sizes to reduce restrictions & the tee'd with reducers for the chiller & main return, which the chiller returns side by side with the main. I should get some more 5 micron filter socks in next week early, I usually run a 100M once a week over night & when needed I polish the tank with the 5 microns, these clog up fast but remove the little things. I still need to install the fans & fix the carbon/phosphate reactor, I'm not sure If I'll use it, I may just buy a small one. I have this big skimmer I'd like to make into a recirc but I'm sorta torn thinking I could go smaller in size so I can access it easier, not sure yet, still skimmerless, Heck I may end up getting a smaller skimmer all together but not just yet. I have a list of things I want to improve on & upgrade, but no hurries, I'll get them, that is part of the fun for me:D
On a sad note, I sold my big hippo, In lieu of a Bi-color blenny & a purple (Fridmani Pseudochromis) LOL, they are small fish as I intend to get more smaller species. I had a local guy QT them for me about 6 weeks. I love that blenny. I also got a ruffled coral, It is my first & I hope to get more in there soon, time to grow corals as I still continue this project build. Can you guys believe April of 2006 was when I started this tank build, almost two years now, man does time & all my money fly!:shock:

LOL!!! I like spending money :D You'll enjoy the smaller fish Scooty...They poop less :p Good luck with the first coral and hurry up with the pics! :)

& a few more, Maybe someone can give Ideas on where up top should I mount those large 4 1/2" fans? :shock:

Wow Scooter You have been busy! What's the type & make of these fans? I'm sorry if You already gave this info but I got lost about page 25 or so! Somewhere You mentioned venting into the attic is that still an option? Regardless your Tank is top notch!

Wow Scooter You have been busy! What's the type & make of these fans? I'm sorry if You already gave this info but I got lost about page 25 or so! Somewhere You mentioned venting into the attic is that still an option? Regardless your Tank is top notch!

I change things so much sometime I forget what I'm doing :lol:

I'm installing the AC fans this weekend, they are 4 1/2" forget the cfm's but they are quite, I'm still not sure where up top the hood I'll mount them. I will post more information after I get them installed.

Thanks for the complements, it is a long project, as you can see I'm not in a hurry to finish LOL!

I change things so much sometime I forget what I'm doing :lol:

I'm installing the AC fans this weekend, they are 4 1/2" forget the cfm's but they are quite, I'm still not sure where up top the hood I'll mount them. I will post more information after I get them installed.

Thanks for the complements, it is a long project, as you can see I'm not in a hurry to finish LOL!

I'm pretty frustrated with fans lately. I spend the big bucks and bought real nice ones. Ran them for a month while building my tank, only to have them all start making noise just before I was done. Of course they are out of warranty. I just ordered the GHL's , sure hope you have bett luck than me.

Don

I actually have some really nice fans, I forget what type bearings but I'm like you, If they fail in a year then I'll just buy the cheapies & get extras LOL! They are low speed 4 1/2" moves lots of air & very quite. I have all of the specs if anyone needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back