The Class Act Aquarium Stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Okay here is a reef related photo. Have both my MH light fixtures now and plan on building the canopy over the next 2 weeks. Have the continuing idea of how I want it to look in my mind. Now to get it out of my mind and onto the tank. :D

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_2672.jpg

You know the last canopy I built, I just started cutting wood and putting it together with absolutely no plan in mind. Was surprised how good it came out LOL!

Quick update. Finally going to get the two pieces of wood out of the living room and start cutting and jointing using my router table for the jointer part. Plan is to have a similar look as the columns on the base incorporated into the hood design but yet not be to protruding or overly large in size. We shall see how everything goes as we move forward. :D

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

Alex, looks like it fits perfectly you just need a pair of scissors and a roll of packaging tape = instant canopy. With such prominant product placement maybe Sunlight Supply will sponsor your tank... :flypig:

Cheers, Todd

*lol* I like it. Considering the boxes are black it wouldn't look to shabby either. And just think of the sponsorship $$$ :biggrin1:

Thanks Peppie.

Was working in the shop on a second skimmer air silencer. First one dropped and broke (bummer) :D Guess it was meant to be as I felt the tuning could have been better. Tube was cut at about 2" and the new one is 3" .

Anyways, I decided to buff the edges of this one versus the usual flame polishing. WOW!!! Buffing was messy but gave awesome results. Pictures just don't do this justice. Now as long as I don't drop this one.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

Alex you seem to have a polish fetish of some type. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. It sure makes your projects look good. But may want to have that looked into.

Thanks for the kind words guys. :D I do admit I like polished stuff. *lol*

Got some time to test the skimmer/plumbing layout for the left side of the sump today. Not looking to shabby and think I have my baffle size and layout finally nailed down, so I'll be ordering 3 pieces of glass for the baffle section soon. Going with glass versus acrylic for ease of siliconing. And just so everyone knows, these are only preliminary testings, I will most likely use some spa flex where the plumbing goes to the sump area rather than the 45 degree fitting. Still testing so ideas out here. And will be deciding weather I will use a filter sock or rubble rock for the input area.

I still have to finish the basic fabrication of the canopy and then I can post a few photos of that later this week. Hopefully by Friday evening. :D

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

It's snowing black stuff in the shop today!!!
:D

Making an inlet for the left side of the sump/skimmer chamber section.

IMG_2727.jpg

And finally have a little bubble tower area for some rubble rock. Probably adhere it later on once I have my baffles ordered and ready to silicone into place. The lower section is not full height and ends that will be adhered to the tank were cut at a 32 degree angle on the table saw.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_2733.jpg

BUBBLES!!! BACHUIVDREFGTWOYEAROLDBUIOLGHB!!! My bubbles. :lol:

What can I say, one of our cats likes Bubbles. And did I mention, they like saltwater?

IMG_2739.jpg

Looks awsome Alex, don’t you just love being able to take your time on a build. No hurries really makes for a clean system layout.

Cheers, Todd

Dear Alex,

I have some ideas for a skimmer sock holder that I would like to build someday.

The thing I HATE about socks is that you have to move the inlet hose around and when it clogs it likes to overflow. The proflex has the inlet in a dedicated tube so that the water travels up, and then spills into the socks. To remove socks just lift! If the socks are clogged then it spills over a lip into the sump.

I like using 7" socks so right now that is the challenge to get 2 or more fitted.

Aqueon » Aqueon ProFlex? Modular Sump Filtration | Products

hmm, that's one way to empty the skimmer cup. would hate to get a whiff of the cat's breath!!

*lol* That little kitten of ours just loves water. He comes running and I mean running when I filled the sump to test the skimmer and get baffle heights set.

Looks awsome Alex, don’t you just love being able to take your time on a build. No hurries really makes for a clean system layout.

Cheers, Todd

Yes you are correct Todd. I love taking the time to do this build so that I can get an A+ from my wife. :D I guess it's also the only display tank I will have to show off in the formal living room for awhile. She put her foot down for now on going to a 180 or larger in wall. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

That's pretty funy about the cat Alex LOL!

Everything is looking really sharp. I am curious to know if the silencer worked and you cannot hear the air.

It would be a nice addition to my skimmer build. Let me know. Great job on the build of it btw. Very clean :)

Frank

Dear Alex,

I have some ideas for a skimmer sock holder that I would like to build someday.

The thing I HATE about socks is that you have to move the inlet hose around and when it clogs it likes to overflow. The proflex has the inlet in a dedicated tube so that the water travels up, and then spills into the socks. To remove socks just lift! If the socks are clogged then it spills over a lip into the sump.

I like using 7" socks so right now that is the challenge to get 2 or more fitted.

It wouldn't be that hard to design and build a dual sock holder depending on the size of the sump. I would be limited to one sock with a 20L sump. I did check out the information in the link and must say that would be a very simple build to perform.

Personally I am still toying with the filter sock or rubble LR in a bubble tower for the skimmer inlet. There are pros and cons either way I go. With the sock method, I don't have to worry about larger stuff making it's way to the skimmer pump and damaging the impeller. But then with the filter sock mehod, I am having to keep that sock clean.

Let me know if you'd like to build a baffle sock system like that. I would be able to assist with the build.

Cheers,
Alex

That's pretty funy about the cat Alex LOL!

Everything is looking really sharp. I am curious to know if the silencer worked and you cannot hear the air.

It would be a nice addition to my skimmer build. Let me know. Great job on the build of it btw. Very clean :)

Frank

Yep, The cat is still somewhat of a kitten, about a year and a half old now. He Love' playing with water. Almost always have to make sure he does not jump in the shower with me.

As for the skimmer silencer, Yes it definatley works. Things that I found with building two of them is the length and diameter will play a role with how well it performs. Also having the smaller tubes inside be able to move up and down inside works awesome. It makes it some that you can almost tune out the loud sucking noise. I was playing around with these little tubes moving them up and down while I was testing skimmer water height the other day and I was amazed that they actually worked. And I don't think the ones that come with the newer skimmers are adjustable and I have heard not so great things about them (noisey).

I'd say definately build one and see what you think. It didn't cost anywhere near as much as if I had bought one from CoralVue for $25.00 plus shipping.

Cheers,
Alex

Had some time on Thursday while I was working in the shop betwen glue ups to make another baffle template. Last one got a bit of melted acrylic on it. Stupid MDF template. This time around I decided to use some Baltic Birch and put a finish with some wax on it so if anything melts on it I should be able to clean it off a little easier.

I'll be using this to make the baffle for the tanks coast to coast overflow.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

Back