The Class Act Aquarium Stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LOL woodpeckers? Those and ur clamps look like nice products. I cant wait to get my own garage or shop so i can stock it woth tools!
:ballchain:

Quick test before I have to work in the yard and then back to the build. It looks like 14" canopy height will do just fine. It should give me around 7-8" to play with for MH height from the waters surface. That board the one MH fixture is sitting on is just half the height of the canopy. *lol* Hope my wife likes BIG!!! Of course the lights will be mounted inside the canopy with a massive amount of airflow.

Oh yes, and plenty of room for my LED build to go in there as well. :D Oooppss... Guess everyone will have to wait and see what I am talking about with that. Stay tuned and you shall find out why and where the LEDs come into play.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

Last edited:
LOL woodpeckers? Those and ur clamps look like nice products. I cant wait to get my own garage or shop so i can stock it woth tools!
:ballchain:

THx, Took awhile to aquire all my tools. Slow process over the past 6 years. Didn't have any shop or garage before we bought this house. Of course I am a tool junkie anyways, being a auto tech by day. *lol*

Good things come to those who wait for it with perseverance and patience :D I think I've finally got the router jointing down a bit better than my first attempts. Now to see how those 38" boards treat me. Patience Alex... patience. Trying to keep the grain look natural is kind of key, I think anyways (from the way it looks to me). *lol*

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

Well here's the final Shop Shots of the day. Jointed the final long boards on the router table and didn't turn out to bad at all. Here's a few shots for y'all . I have included a couple of close up shots of the joint.

Have a great weekend and I'll post more updates after the first of the week.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_2806.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2809.jpg

coming together nice Alex. No surprise there. And a man can never really have enough tools, just not enough space.

Alex...I saw this on TV about 5 am this morning. Every use a pocket hole jig?? This one looks really nice!! I have to get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kreg Jigs

Yes I actually used it in this build. IF you check out the first page you can see where I used my pocket hole jig on the stands framing. I plan on getting some use out of it with the canopy build too. That along with the biscuit jointer.

Get one and you will not be disappointed at all. So many different uses for them.

Cheers,
Alex

coming together nice Alex. No surprise there. And a man can never really have enough tools, just not enough space.

THx Reed. Yes I agree, never enough tools in the shop. *lol* Seems there's always something I've got my eye on for my next purchase. I always tell the wife I should work for Snap On instead of an auto tech. *lol*

Last Shop Shot of the Night!!! Testing a new template idea. What do y'all think? I don't know about this? :lol:

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_2810.jpg

So I decided that I liked the template so much that I went ahead and made a more permanent jig out of a nicer material than that Sandi Ply from HD Made it this time out of 9-ply Birch plywood. Always like to make my templates out of Birch for the durability.

IMG_2825.jpg

And then it was time to try and make a new fan grill. :D Going to be making a few of these in both 120mm and going to maybe make a few in an 80mm size too. Trying the build out of Poplar as I am still deciding how I want to finish these inside the canopy. Inside of the canopy will be a nice gloss white, so maybe these will be white or black? Dunno. :lol:

Here's a few photos of the progress thus far on the fan grill. Still have some more shaping to do and then it will be off to paint along with the water test stations.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

Cool grill Peppie!

I am curious how that air diffuser is working on the skimmer? Let me know, I need to design something for mine and am looking for ideas.

Hi Frankie,

Actually this is Alex (spllbnd2), Guess you're watching both Peppie's and my builds. :lol:

Skimmer silencer works great. I am going to build one for another skimmer of mine and see how it performs on that. It will be on a CPR Aquafuge PS.

Cheers,
Alex

Hey Alex! Yeah, I guess I got confused LOL!

I will pm you tonight after work. I have a few questions for you about it. I have pictures of the one I built last night but am not to sure of the inner tube size and would like to discuss it. See you tonight and thanks!

Hey Alex! Yeah, I guess I got confused LOL!

I will pm you tonight after work. I have a few questions for you about it. I have pictures of the one I built last night but am not to sure of the inner tube size and would like to discuss it. See you tonight and thanks!

No worries Frankie. I'll chat with you tonight about the silencer.

Cheers,
Alex

Shop Shot for Monday July 18th 2011.

Project - "Fan Grill OverKill" is taking shape and starting to look really good.

IMG_2832.jpg

Back