Todd's 125g Build ( Part 1 = Cherry Stand )

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TJL

copod
Well... My little 75g has been stuffed to the gills now for months so back a couple of months I picked up a very cool dimensioned 125 from (JasonD) measuring 60"x24"x20" made of 3/4" acrylic and a 1" bottom, dual 1-1/2" corner over flows and huge 25"x18" openings.

So after completing several Honey Do's :biggrin1: I finally started the stand this past Saturday while many of you were at the Bob Moore event. Being that I had months to figure it mostly out, design/re-design... I was able to utilize some some really nice Cherry doors I have been saving from an old job gone south. They are true Shaker doors, all solid stock meaning they have reversed raised panels not plywood inserts. They were also inset doors already mortised for hinges so not much room for error. So without further ado heres a few pics to start things out with.
125ggaraged.jpg

designingarounddoors.jpg

designingbeadeddividers.jpg

initialbuildplansforbase.jpg

Cheers, Todd

On Sunday I milled cut and mocked up faceframes/end panels making a serious amount of Cherry shavings/sawdust
millingCherrysolidstock.jpg

planing everything down to either 1" or 3/4" then ripping to 3/4", 1", 2-1/2", 3" and 3-1/2" to frame
milledCherry.jpg

next I mocked up end panels w/ removable inserts
endpanelmockup.jpg

then onto boring pocket holes in frame stock
pocketholejig1.jpg

pocketholejig2.jpg

That was pretty much it for Sunday, Todd

Glad to see that you've started it. Should be real nice when its done.

Monday I finished sizing frame stock then Glued & Screwed faceframes and clamped em up square
sizingsolidstock.jpg

faceframeassembly.jpg

faceframedetail.jpg

checking square on frames by measuring diagonally
gluesquareendpanels.jpg

clampedendpanels.jpg

That was Mondays progress, Todd

Dude this is going to be nice, can I offer any help. Would love to come down there and learn a few things.

Thanks Kevin, Duaneand Krish. Last Sunday Smart Bass! and always welcome Floyd.

So Tuesday I mostly just worked on figuring out all the details of the beading for inset doors.
figuringoutbeadedjoints.jpg

beadingdividers.jpg

Wednesday I finished sizing 3/4" Birch ply for bottom, back and top
dimensioningplywood.jpg

Then banded bottom & top of back panel in Teak to keep plywood off floor and stiffen top of back panel
teakbandingonbackpanel.jpg

Then I dry fit tested all components before gluing down bottom
gluedownbottompanel.jpg

Todd

Friday (2 days ago Mike) I installed cleats on end frame pieces to secure removable back panel then attached back with stainless steel screws pre-drilled into hardwood cleats and a Teak structure below bottom panel, once again to keep plywood off floor.
fittingbackpanel.jpg

I also filled all exposed pocket holes with glued in plugs
pocketholeplugs.jpg

Saturday I helped moveSmart Bass Mike's new 180g AGA, stand, canopy and the whole back of my truck with sumps & lighting... paid in Beer & Pizza mmmmm
Sunday (today Mike) I did aliitle pre-sanding before I get to applying beaded moldings. BOY do I miss having a professional shop... a planer wwould have been real nice (will have to get a small 6" one in future) a 52" double drum wide belt sander Oh my... to flush sand all joints in faceframes.

To be continued... Cheers, Todd

Wow I was wondering if this was just going to be talked about or if it was actually going to become a build thread. Good to see it coming together Todd. It looks well planned as usual.

Thanks Dave, Eric, Todd annnnd Mikey, well today I get to clean up the shop a bit while waiting on UPS to deliver the brushed nickel inset hinges I ordered. will also finish size and plane down some 1/4" Cherry banding and apply to the plywood top.

Here is a pic showing the simple Teak framework under the bottom panel while I was assembling frame.
dryfittingframework.jpg

close-up of 4/4 faceframe on end overlapped 3/4" and beaded to match dividers in 2nd pic
IMGP3218.jpg

IMGP3225.jpg

I also recessed the back panel to safely hide LED Drivers (will make an acrylic shield) planning on cutting out a hinged panel in back to access from inside stand. With the removable back I could also easily retrofit this design with another faceframe & doors to use as a peninsula style stand.
IMGP3206.jpg

OK the shop/garage should be warm enough now to go clean and mill down some 1/4" banding for top

Cheers, Todd

Back