Todd's 125g Build ( Part 1 = Cherry Stand )

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Cabot, good stuff. That is a lot of coats. No worries, just wipe it clean. Nice patch job. most people would have put a plug on the old or new bulkhead. What type lights go under the hood?
I will be in the Everett area on the weekends during the summer mo. My grandson races quartermidgets over at the Monroe fairground. I sure would like to stop by for a show and tell sometime this summer.

Hey, thanks guys though did not think I would take months to do this build. On the bright side since this the first time in many builds that I have had the luxury of time on my side it has afforded me the ability of really thinking everything through. Peppie you are most welcome anytime for a visit, for lighting that will be Part III of build and is a DIY LED project using 84 3w chips in 7 circuits, 6 front-to-back linear for a true East-to-West Dawn-to-Dusk lighting effect and the 7th for a mid-day peak. Also purchased the Lunar module w/ 5 led's for my Neptune to have an active Lunar schedule. I plan on recruiting Floyd (Tat2z21) to help me out here.

Yesterday I wet sanded out most of the minor scratching in the 125 and the old 75g for sump w/ 1500 then 2000 grit before polishing with Novus #2. The old 75g sump was once a Reef ready with a corner over flow that I was originally going to cut out completely and patch but while in midst of cutting had an epiphany ??? Cleaned it up routed a whole mess of slots/teeth into it and now it will be my Cryptic Zone part of the fuge. I will place bulkhead for outlet to return pump to draw water through it and use the bio-balls covered in sponges and tunicates thats in my current cryptic zone. I plan on drilling the 125 for emergancy overflows to the Herbie and outlet on sump then place on/in stand to set up plumbing run today.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
Todd,

FWIW, I've noticed that the LED lights on my system are extremely bright and my eyes are very sensitive to it, to the point of headaches and nausea. So depending on the nature of your sensiviity, you might want to plan on how much LED bulbs you are going to use.

Just a thought..

I need to do somebody a favor this week, so will take your illness causing LEDs off your hands.
You're welcome:humble:
Todd,

FWIW, I've noticed that the LED lights on my system are extremely bright and my eyes are very sensitive to it, to the point of headaches and nausea. So depending on the nature of your sensiviity, you might want to plan on how much LED bulbs you are going to use.

Just a thought..

Amazing craftmanship shown so far.
Attention to detail is terrific.
Very very nice so far.

Thanks Marty and Adonijah, and finally got around to making the trap-door for externally mounting the LED drivers. Just barely enough room for all 8 drivers to fit and still be able to fold down for access.

access panel installed in back panel ( a little bit of a hack job but was to lazy to offload tank and remove back panel first)
trap-doorinstalled.jpg

then with plumbing drain re-installed to show tight fit
trap-doorwithplumbing.jpg

trap-door down for easy LED driver access
trap-doordownshowingLEDdrivers.jpg

and a pic just to show how fast Cherry ages even withouot much sunshine (5 weeks)
Cherrystandagedjust5weeks.jpg

Well since Eric (Eww) helped me install the new slider already just need to install the Easy-Heat system go pick up 300sf of porcelain tile and get busy

Cheers, Todd

Looks good Todd. Are you going to provide any air flow to the drivers? Do they get warm? There are a bunch of them back there.

Hey Dave (peppie) I do have a 120mm fan that will be mounted directly behind and blowing in on the Iwaki return pump. This should draw at least some fresh air past the drivers, but they don't get very warm in general.

Cheers, Todd

Good to have a breeze. I dont know much about the led setups. I do know that electricity will produce heat.
Your next pic needs to be of a floor covered with tile. Right in front of this door that Eric needs to see

I'd recommend putting a couple of smaller sized (80mm 0r 60mm) fans blowing up across those drivers. They may not put out much heat but probably will produce some heat internal. I always try and keep my electronics cooled. Home theatre system is activley cooled too. :D

Cheers,
Alex

p.s. looking awesome. Have you finished the LED build? Need any help, let me know, have an awesome soldering station with precision tips and a Panavise with a couple of head units.

I opened this thread and I started coughing and choking from all the dust and cobwebs pouring out of my computer.

I thought I heard you mention this past weekend that your heat sink was done. Was I imagining this statement?

We sure would like an update!!! Thoughts??? progress???? Dreams????

I opened this thread and I started coughing and choking from all the dust and cobwebs pouring out of my computer.

Dave,

That is funnier than heck. And love the nice friendly jab to Todd.

Salmon season has to end sometime so I'm sure we will have an update soon. :D:D:D

Dave, I'm just aging it like a fine fine wine

I thought I heard you mention this past weekend that your heat sink was done. Was I imagining this statement?
No/Yes DJ did pick it up on day of BBQ and hopefully will be able to TIG weld it OK then I can get to the canopy build part

We sure would like an update!!! Thoughts??? progress???? Dreams????
So... almost done with the Honey Do's then still have to tile the room before adding any water. Dreams... hope I catch so many Salmon that I can't lift my arms to even feed my reeftank and have to drink my whisky through a straw. Also being able to catch my own fish (Flame Angel or Flame Wrasses) in Hawaii with Les.

Kirk, only 60 days or so left to Salmon Season
Cheers/Mahalo, Todd

PROGRESS well... a little at least. All the carpet except under the 75g gone and the ugly a$$ fireplace brick tore down. infloor heating down and covered crack suppression/vapor barrier complete for part 1 of tiling job.

IMGP4588.jpg

Mult-color Slate copy in Porcelain 18x18 tile brick-set with polished Black Absolute Granite on the flush Hearth
IMGP4590.jpg

After quite the setbacks with the self-leveling #@$*! hope to have water in the new tank by next week sometime and be able to introduce my self-collected Hawaiian fish shortly afterwards.

Cheers, Todd

WOW...you don't see that every day.....a fireplace in the "fish room"...that's awesome

Back