Todd's 125g Build ( Part 1 = Cherry Stand )

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks guys, its been alot of fun building the stand so far yet more challenging designing the cabinetry to fit existing doors instead of the other way around. Looks like maybe Saturday will be nice enough to open the garage door and apply some more varnish. Then onto the canopy/LED build and plumbing in the sump/fuge and closed-loop. Also have been helping Rob out for the soon to be re-opening of Red 'C' Aquarium.

Cheers, Todd

Nice piece of furniture Todd. How come you aren't done with the canopy yet??? :D

Don't let them flip you crap. I've got a set of doors that I've been needing to finish since...I forget, October maybe. They're on the list. Good looking build.

Mike

Thanks Mike, but I'm sure I deserve a little in return. Still looking like the weather will be good for applying some varnish tomorrow and if it holds for a few more days may actually complete the finishing of the stand. then onto the canopy and LED build for 'Part 2 & 3'.

Cheers, Todd

Was at Todd's house today and stand looks great..very solid, tank is not going anywhere..

Woohoo no rain a little sunshine and got my first coat of varnish on remainder of stand Woohoo and now may need to head to a clinic for Methadone treatment, varnish has a serious solvent kick to it... Woohoo

Cheers, Todd

Woohoo no rain a little sunshine and got my first coat of varnish on remainder of stand Woohoo and now may need to head to a clinic for Methadone treatment, varnish has a serious solvent kick to it... Woohoo

Cheers, Todd

Haha!!! I remember staining a table and bench for my wife in our old townhouse and smart me decided I'd do it on our closed in patio without any windows open. Well, being plagued with OCD and having to get it all done one time and right away, I spent 3 hours in there doing it. When I finished, I was dizzy as anything (basically had to crawl up the stairs to my room) and when I got there, I started throwing up :eek:. I was high as a kite!!! Lesson learned :lol:

Todd,
I just found your build here. It is about time. You must have finished the bath remod. Your woodworking is top notched. I had no idea. Most people do not have a clue what goes into a nice piece of furniture. Trust me I do. Keep up the good work. I will be watching your build. Any details on the equipment you will be using?

Looks great Todd! My brother and I will have to come see it once your tank is all up and running. We loved your 75g.
How's the yellow coris wrasse doing?

UPDATE, finishing on stand is 95% just need a coat of furniture wax. Drilled and glued in 16 little neo magnets into back of doors and frame since butt hinges have no tension springs. Stand is in the house and now have room for the canopy build and start on the plumbing plans. Tank and exisiting plumbing parts is outside for its vinegar bath then back into garage for a buff-n-polish. I will post updated pics soon.

Peppie and Luis, thanks you. Krish, Oh Boy I don't know all what they put in marine varnish but it took me a couple days to come down and have a clear head. Dave, sorry for the delayed response but you should/always welcome to walk over for a visit at lunch time or ???

Cheers, Todd

I'll have to stop by next week while I'm on vacation.

Let me know if you need any assistance moving things around. I can always find time to hop over and help.

OK, finally getting around to posting pics/updates. I've been without a computer for a couple weeks now and only using my Droid II.

Applied 6 coats of Cabots Spar Varnish on outside and 4+ on inside, nasty nasty stuff but well worth the effort in the long run.
varnishingthestand.jpg

CabotSparVarnish.jpg

Made a simple jig for drilling doors for pulls
hardwarejig.jpg

Then finally moved stand into the house to where it will be set-up
125standinhouse.jpg

Applied a little Goddard's Fine Furniture Wax to all surfaces
Goddardsfinefurniturewax.jpg

Then while waiting on plumbing parts...

Gave whole tank a vinegar bath/scrub outside in the rain. I cut all the old plumbing bulkheads off and will be replacing with new, will be changing drains to a Herbie Style.I found some matching 1/8" dark blue acrylic scraps while helping Rob at Red C Aquarium so was able to hide old closed-loop holes.

plugging the closed-loop holes in back
pluggingacrylicholes.jpg

I have been cutting/routing and resetting baffles on the 75g acrylic sump. Making room for SWC Extreme 200 skimmer and fabricating an acrylic bracket for a Eshopps rectangular filter sock. Will update again soon.

Cheers, Todd

Very nice. Love the way the stand turned out... but where is the tile that's supposed to be on the floor under it? :D

I like the acrylic patch work too. You've got skills. :D:D

I think that the stand fab is FAB! you really rocked that one Todd. Looks like you have everything on the go. Lets start that light craziness, (As soon as I finish Lorries)

Back