The Time Has Come!! 60 gal sps......

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tike

Well it has taken me about 7-8 months but i am FINALLY setting up the 60 gallon i bought from Erik (Macbeth417).

Here'a a breakdown: acrylic 60 gallon with home spun overflows and closed loop. The loop powered by a dolphin es3500 (thanks for the suggestion Tod!!) and the return a mag 7. I tried to use a larger return pump but the overflows were too darn loud!:lol:

Evolution 500 skimmer with a mag 9 suppling. Sunlight Tek T-5 4 bulb fixture, 2- aquablue and 2-actinic +. I have always been curious about T-5 lighting and now i can find out for myself if they are cracked up to be:D

The first problem?? i ran into was the dolphin runs best with a 1 1/2"-2" plumbing and all my plumbing was 1":shock: So.......tear apart the closed loop and replaced with 1 1/2" PVC. I just completed gluing all the pieces together tonight and will hook it all up tomorrow!

I like to give mad prop's to Big T in advising me and giving me the items to fix the crack in this sucker! I will get that weld on back to you real soon pal!

I have attached a few pics

Last edited:
It's about time! When do you plan on putting water in 'er? Congrats on getting it set up and fired up! If you need any help give me a ring.

It's about time! When do you plan on putting water in 'er? Congrats on getting it set up and fired up! If you need any help give me a ring.

Yo Todd!

It has been waaaaayyyyy too long getting this project up, but i gotta have priorities!:D I plan on doing testing on tuesday (I'm gonna play hookie from work:) )

naww dood i'm sure everything we'll be fine .... besides there's nothing like flooding your house :shock: :lol: ..... just kidding dood :D

I just purchased a rigid 20 gallon professional wet/dry vac.........just in case while i'm testing...........:badgrin:

Yo Todd!

It has been waaaaayyyyy too long getting this project up, but i gotta have priorities!:D I plan on doing testing on tuesday (I'm gonna play hookie from work:) )

I will keep a watch to see how things are going. Give me a shout if you need some help.

Updates!!!

Man my life has been a little hectic the last week. Had to leave town unexpectedly on biz, so my plans got a little twisted.:shock:
Well I thought I was going to test last Tuesday, but that plan fell down, oh well I'll have time on Thursday! :doubt: Humph......that plan fell down too, I think I’m gonna need a couple of band aids if this keeps up! :) Well here it is Friday and it is time to test my PVC cementing skills! The pic was taken just before I started adding water.

Leaks!!!

Oh...... Oh....... Leaks! Nothing major dribble here and a dribble there nothing ye ole silicone sealer can't fix.......right??!! I think I’ll just seal all the joints just to be sure and feel a little safer. Anyway before I start I think I get some advice from a higher power!:) :lol:

Oh...... Oh....... Leaks! Nothing major dribble here and a dribble there nothing ye ole silicone sealer can't fix.......right??!! I think I’ll just seal all the joints just to be sure and feel a little safer. Anyway before I start I think I get some advice from a higher power!:) :lol:
USE THE FORCE TIKE........Or else a coupple tubes of silicon and a shop vac....LOL. Seriously though nice to see your tank coming together.
Best of luck, Scott

Live Rock is here!!

I bought 90 pounds of Walt Smith premium Fiji live rock. With shipping out of California I paid $267 for it. Not bad looking stuff! I will cure it for 4 weeks although it doesn’t smell bad at all, I am sure there must be some dead stuff on it. Better safe then sorry!:)

USE THE FORCE TIKE........Or else a coupple tubes of silicon and a shop vac....LOL. Seriously though nice to see your tank coming together.
Best of luck, Scott

Yes! Have patience young Jedi!:lol:

Well here's the new chapter! I put water in the tank and fired it up after i plugged a few holes with silicone. That was on the 24th of september and i ran it until the 30th with no leaks!!

So I added in the salt and let it hydrate overnight......put the live rock in to start the cycle. Monday morning....:cry: ....leaks!!! The same slow drippy things but there are 4 of them ...all coming from threaded ends the I super wrapped with teflon tape!

So I am sitting here at work right now trying to figure out exactly how i want to take things apart and start again:( .

When i get home will post pics as far as i got. I just don't seem to get the time to post at home like I do from work:lol:

Last edited:
Back