Todd's 125g Build ( Part 1 = Cherry Stand )

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks a whole bunch guys, still waiting on hinges to be able to finish applying trim pieces... snail mail I guess :frusty:. Dave (Rainydave) came over and helped lift the stand off my tablesaw/workbench so I can at least rip some material to finish top & back brace. Alex, I'd love to have you come over to pick your brain on some ideas I have since your the only one close by that is probably more anal than me on the design aspect:whistle:. Jason, I'll absolutely invite you down to see your resurrected reeftank when done.

Cheers, Todd

Now I understand why its taking you so long! no 4x4's and 16 penny nails here! Looks good Todd. I will come check it out when I get back. Thanks again for covering me...

Now I understand why its taking you so long! ..
Todd juggles:juggle: leisure with pleasure, works on his own intense "schedule":playball: which only allows him so much time to allot to the stand:couch2: while his tolerant wife:angel: flies all over the world:plane: keeping Todd under some semblance of control:ballchain: while they debate which project should get the attention:fencing: She typically wins and Todd takes shelter:behindsofa: for a few days before getting back to his little woodworking project. Thus the added time:drum:, you're welcome:clap2:

Todd juggles:juggle: leisure with pleasure, works on his own intense "schedule":playball: which only allows him so much time to allot to the stand:couch2: while his tolerant wife:angel: flies all over the world:plane: keeping Todd under some semblance of control:ballchain: while they debate which project should get the attention:fencing: She typically wins and Todd takes shelter:behindsofa: for a few days before getting back to his little woodworking project. Thus the added time:drum:, you're welcome:clap2:

Thats hilarious Mike, if I were any older...say 56... I might of peed myself !

OK :focus: I had to re-order my inset hinges from another supplier in Spokane as the others are back-ordered til mid April so hopefuly by end of week I'll something to work with.

Cheers, Todd

OK, time for an update! Finally received the hinges:clap2: so I could continue build but while waiting was able to get a little done in attaching back rail supports & rails

attachingbackrailsupport.jpg

installingrailsfortop.jpg

Plus boring out holes for the Neodyum magnets into end panel blocks.

boringholesforneomags.jpg

endpanelblockswithneomags.jpg

endpanelblocksfront.jpg

Then.... see below

I also milled & routed up some beaded molding for the frames of the removable end panels.

beadedmoldingforendpanels.jpg

miterandsandbeadesframe.jpg

Here is a GREAT little clamp/jig for doing all kinds of corner related joinery and even milling
boringholesinbackofbeadedframes.jpg

everything fits together nicely
endpanelsreadytoassemble.jpg

endpanelbeadingdetail.jpg

Then I.... see below

Finally got around to installing the long awaited hinges into mortises on doors.

applyinghingetomortise.jpg

Door layout to mark hinge locations on faceframe.
doorlayouttomarkhingelocation.jpg

Mortise for hinges for propper clearance
mortisingforhinges.jpg

Beading detail before hours of hand carving out to finish corners (I should have made V-cut miters in molding...next time)
beaddetailB4carving.jpg

and after carving and sanding... still have all my fingers
beadedcarvingdetail.jpg

To be continued... back to shop to install doors, final sand, install top with and Shaker Crown molding to hide bottom seam of tank.

Cheers, Todd

Great work Todd. If you run into another project like this let me know. I have beaded and double beaded face frame shaper cutters and a face frame notcher. Keep up the good work!

Don

Alex, SDW & Don Thanks. I assembled completely and trimmed out the top but have not done to much on finishing because of weather. Close up and heat the garage to apply varnish on a few parts and fill the whole house with solvent fumes or open up garage door to 45* with 99.9% humidity. May have to wait until next week to be able to apply more finish.

So this is a far as I got.
IMGP3270.jpg

IMGP3274.jpg

IMGP3278.jpg

I will drill for door pulls & neo magnet catches and wait for some sunshine.

Cheers, Todd

Nice piece of furniture Todd. How come you aren't done with the canopy yet??? :D

Back