Well your going to think I'm crazy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

yeah the hydor controller is super cheap for a controller, i've also heard is supposed to be used with the EVO series not the regular ones.
I heard they go out like chris has had happen becuase they're not ment to be ON and OFF all the time.

My maxi jetts are the ones I have to listen for... if I don't hear clunking and then start it probably didn't turn on.
Hydor 1200 is dead silent.
As far as the reverse goes, like I may have told one of you.... I think they're polarized, When i plugged mine in one way and realized it was going in reverse I just flipped the plug around and its always worked the right way since.. :D
dumb luck I guess.

I would definitely get one of those hydor controllers for 70 bucks I think, you can't beat it. If I remember right it only runs two pumps tho :( You may be able to put 2 on each plug :D dunno if it'd hurt anything or not.
Good luck let us know

A friend of mine had a evo 1400 and 750 on the hydor controller. He said sometimes they would start backwards and sometimes not. Id still give it a shot though.

Did they tell you why they were so noisy?

No real reason. QA Issue not sure. But I had an mp10 wet side replaced. And one of my mp40's had to have the wet side and dry side. Basically a new pump other than the controller. One thing you an try is go take the wet side off and try the pump on. If it's noisy the I needs to be replaced. If the noise is gone than it's the wet side. You can try taking the wrt side apart and clean it up and make sure things are tight. To me it looked like a balance issue and the impeller weight was different causing it to vibrate on the ceramic rod. You could almost see it rattling around. Once the problems are where resolved, by far the best power head/pump I've had for flow. I'd give EcoTech a call and see what they say. Worse case you're out the time intakes to call. Great support by the way. I don't think I would have bought the 2 others Vortech's or my Radion's if there support wasn't as good as it is.

They are not grindy everytime they start up lol, hopefully you will have good results with the korailia wavemaker! I'll be watching to see how it goes!

Buy Oceans Motions 4-Way Wavemaker Online | Vivid Aquariums here is what I am going with for my flow in the new 300dd. I have 2 mp 40's and you can hear them...but my skimmer is louder. I heard of someone using 40's on 1 inch thick glass and basically using a stick to provide pressure on the dry side so they don't fall off....not advised but point being if they were able to turn through 1 inch glass then perphaps the 3/4 will be fine.

I have got a small electric outboard up in the attic you could drop in the tank at one end. LOL It may produce a few bubbles though.

Just a thought here Lorie,
I found that I neglected to clean my hydors as often as they needed because I had to chase the power cords out from under the tank, up the back,. clean them them fish all those cords back again. What a pain.
I took the time and mounted a power strip behind the hood, on the wall for much easier access to cleaning.

Just a thought here Lorie,
I found that I neglected to clean my hydors as often as they needed because I had to chase the power cords out from under the tank, up the back,. clean them them fish all those cords back again. What a pain.
I took the time and mounted a power strip behind the hood, on the wall for much easier access to cleaning.

Good idea. Thats one of the things I will be working on too, is where everything is getting plugged in at.

+1 about the plug in everything everywhere ting lol!!!

Ur crazy lorrie! J/p ;)
If anyone needs a tank like this, its you! Your fish r gonna luv u.
As for the hydor thing. I prefer constant gyro but this does good with pulse and all u hear is the evos clicking on and off... mine is wit nata now...i traded for her pretty corals.

Blahblah sry lol.

Cant wait for some wet pictures :)

I'll a little late showing up to the party here, but congrats on the build Lorrie! I knew you were getting a bigger tank but didn't know the details. Then I took a look at the picture and thought, that's the corner of Eric's back room. I'm sure he'll be glad to reclaim that space.

Looking forward to this build coming along.

I'll a little late showing up to the party here, but congrats on the build Lorrie! I knew you were getting a bigger tank but didn't know the details. Then I took a look at the picture and thought, that's the corner of Eric's back room. I'm sure he'll be glad to reclaim that space.

Looking forward to this build coming along.

Yeah, thats what he said, he was excited to get that space back.

I'm excited to aquascape this one. I only had 200lbs of rock in the 180. I need more rock so I am thinking about taking down the 90 and using that rock. I need to clean it off first. Having a slight algae issue in that tank. I think that rock will make a great addition. Theres a couple nice big pieces.

I cant sleep! Its 1245am and im helping move this thing tomorrow! I know how much my 215 weighs...lol...i need to sleep!! Ok. See you tomorrow lorrie!

Well I am ready:dance::dance::dance:

I want to say thank you to everyone helping out and delivering this tank for me today.
Thanks to Eric, owner of The Shark Reef, Tim, Mike, Reilly (SomethingsFishy) and Jason (Pandora32). I really do appreciate all you are doing today.

See you all soon!

Wootwoot cant wait fot pics lorrie!

Well here they are. Its all I had time to take.

DSC00005_zpsf2eff469.jpg

DSC00006_zps574f073b.jpg

DSC00007_zps22de1bb5.jpg

Wow the guys were all great! So thankful to all of them.
This thing is so heavy. I am almost afraid to fill it with water.
I think I am going to re do some of the plumbing. the way it is run right now, I cant get my skimmer in the sump. I think I am going to have to set up a seperate refugium too or just build a new sump.
I'll think about it a little more. And get pics of the sump that is there.

Last edited:
Back