Well your going to think I'm crazy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, I am not going to use NSW. I dont have the means to filter it and IO doesnt cost that much.

Okay, so I am redoing some of the plumbing and redesigning the sump.
The plumbing was running directly over the sump so I could not get my skimmer in it.
Also the way the main sump is baffled it will not hold a consistant water level. So I will be adding a 10" tall baffle to hold the water level consitant for the skimmer. There is also not refugium space.
So I picked up a 21x22x18 section that I am going to plumb into the left side of the main sump.
I am going to section it off. One side of it is going to be the refugium and the other section is going to be for holding the freshwater for the auto top off.

Here is the original sump and the additional piece I am going to plumb into it.

DSC00071_zps77553ba7.jpg

DSC00070_zps562710b3.jpg

I stopped at home depot today and picked up everything I think I will need.
I may need a hole saw though to drill the hole in the main sump. I am sure I will be back to Home Depot for more stuff.
I picked up the plexy for the baffle and to section off the freshwater/fuge. I'll get it measured out and cut hopefully next weekend.

It will be easier and more effective if you have 6 , 1/2'' X 1/2'' pieces of acrylic cut ( 4 each height, 2 each width) for gussets along with your acrylic divider panel. Have the divider panel cut 1/16'' shorter of the over all width of the sump. The gussets will be installed on both sides of the divider panel. This will help aid in making the freshwater side stay freshwater. You can use weldon 16 for this mod, but you need to be sure the pieces dont move for about 1 hour. Weldon 3 or 4 would be better.

Thanks for the update.

Last edited:
Not a problem,

If I remember correctly , when it comes to working with acrylic some people are a little more challenged than others. LOL

LOL!!!
So what are you saying " I know how you are when it comes to working with acrylic"? Yeah I saw that!
Me challenged? no! not me! I might make a mess out of it, but it works when I'm done with it! HAHA!

LOL!!!
So what are you saying " I know how you are when it comes to working with acrylic"? Yeah I saw that!
Me challenged? no! not me! I might make a mess out of it, but it works when I'm done with it! HAHA!

There is no dought in my mind that it would work when you are done. Your track record has proven that

Okay, made some progress to day. Got the sump finished.
Well I need to actually cement the connection between the two yet.
I added the baffle to the main sump to keep the water level constant for the skimmer.

DSC00091_zps76130391.jpg

I got the wall in to separate the refugium and the fresh water reservoir. And no leaks! Yea! Also added a wall in the fuge around the bulkhead to keep macro from getting to it and thru the bulkheads to the sump. I am adding egg crate and screen to the top of the wall. It will be removable for easy cleaning.
Also sealed the second hole. There was originally two bulkheads in this section. I only need one.

DSC00085_zpsea62f09e.jpg

Got the fuge/reservoir in the stand. That was fun. Wasnt bad actually. Its wider than the opening of the doors. Doors are 20". The tank is 21" x 22".

DSC00086_zps033950e6.jpg

And since I am connecting it to the sump, I had to drill a hole for a bulkhead. Went to Home Depot the other day and got a hole saw. Didnt have one the size needed for the bulkhead.

So this is my first time drilling a hole in acrylic. Well actually my second, I tested my skill and the hole saw on a scrap piece first. Had to do it in the stand. That sump will not come out of the stand. No way!

DSC00087_zpse1a1d9ba.jpg

So here it is so far.

DSC00092_zps4a78e73d.jpg

The plan is for circulation in the fuge, is to have a separate small pump in the return section of the sump pumping water back to the fuge.

Looking great. Nice remodel on that little sump you picked up. I hardly recognize it. You'll be getting it all wet before you know it.

Nice work Lorrie,
What are the black pieces in the second pic?
Nice job on the freshwater divider. No leaks, No gussets!

Thanks. Yeah, it looks a little different, doesn't it!

I got the confirmation yesterday that I have plenty of support for this thing. So once the rest of the plumbing is done, which will hopefully be next weekend and I find my 50ft of 1/4 tubing to hook up to the RO/DI unit, I could start filling it this weekend.

Nice work Lorrie,
What are the black pieces in the second pic?
Nice job on the freshwater divider. No leaks, No gussets!

The black you see is a patch that was there when I got it. Use to be a hole there, but it was sealed with black acrylic. With water in it, its reflecting so looks like multiple pieces.

Oh, and thanks :)

Oh, my gosh, I have been shortening return lines and overflow lines and lengthening the others. Gluing elbos and 45's and...hmm, I hope I didnt forget something.
I think all I have to do is hook up the pump and fill it up.

Get 'er Done!!!!! I love watching your build. Great job!

PS... somebody got a new 90G R/R Aqueon tank sitting in their house!!! Shh... it's a secret!

Looking good lorrie! So how many of your tanks are you goin to combine into this one? Or is this goin to be an additional tank for the collection. I did notice when i was there that you still have room on the kitchen counters. How many tanks you gettin up there?...lol. J/k

Looking good lorrie! So how many of your tanks are you goin to combine into this one? Or is this goin to be an additional tank for the collection. I did notice when i was there that you still have room on the kitchen counters. How many tanks you gettin up there?...lol. J/k

Well, Besides the 180 that was were this one is sitting, I was going to take the 90 down, but my husband doesnt want me to. I am taking down the pico. So all in all I will have the 250, 90, 75, 54 & the 40B frag tank. Thats down from the 9 tanks I used to have going. I do still have one fresh water planted tank too.

Get 'er Done!!!!! I love watching your build. Great job!

PS... somebody got a new 90G R/R Aqueon tank sitting in their house!!! Shh... it's a secret!

Working on it. Water is getting hooked up today and turned on.

90 RR...sweet! I'll watch for your build!

Wow nice sump design! It kinda makes me wanna connect my two sumps... Kinda:)

I tried this once ( connecting two sumps with pipes/bulkheads) and found that it became a bottleneck. The water level on the end sump ( where the return pump was) was always lower and threatened to run dry.
The amount of water the return pump does will be restricted by the amount of water that will flow through the bulkheads.

Yeah, I thought this thru. Thats why its not set up that way.
The overflows still empty into the main sump. There are no bulkheads between the overflow and the return pump except the one the return pump is atached to the sump with.
The baffle I put in is far enough away from the next one to allow plenty of flow thru it too.
The refugium section is going to be run seperately with an ehiem 1250 placed in the skimmer or return section and run back to the refugium where it will flow thru the bulkhead back to the main sump.

There are also ball valves on the return lines so I can restrict them a little if needed. I am adding flexible tubing to the elbos on the end of the overflow to extend into the filter socks so there is no spashing.

Using the existing section with the check valve and then moving the right overflow across the back I had to raise the return a bit. And had to move the pump to the right to accomodate the extra section to the sump on the left. Came out right at the the right return, so I just had to get the left return matched up. Figured 45's were better than 90's

DSC00107_zps0d53c8ff.jpg

Last edited:
Back