SANDS 300 Semi-Cubed Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Also the original plan of having the sump in the closet under the stairs has been replaced with using a "utility room" that is about 10' to the left of where the tank is. The problem was getting the pipes there with the tank being in the basement.
Just a little problem nothing that these won't take care of.
IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

Unfortunately the jack hammer quit working about an hour into it so I have to wait until morning to get another one.

Last edited:
Ya know, we almost made it down there a few days ago. We were going to be in Moscow and plans changed. Had we made it to Moscow, I planned to call you and let you know we were about 30 minutes out...lol.

We both wanna get down there to visit you guys soon!! Although, after you've filled the house up with concrete dust, might be best to stay far away...lol. She might be lil' but I bet she can take you!!! LOL

Yeah that dark wood is great. Definently a 70's house. It still needs alot of work but we are getting closer to getting the basement done. We still have one room down there that is all DARK paneling!!! That will be another project for the near future.

a lot of work to cut the slab, I never thought of that, but now that I see someone taking on the challenge it gave me a lot of ideas.

I guess I will come along for this ride and see how it goes.

A little more progress was made today. Went to the rental store and got another jack hammer and finished the cut for the plumbing and got the pipes ran.

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

Then partially filled the hole with sand then layed 3MIL garbage bags on top of the PVC because I read some articles stating that the concrete may react with the PVC most said that it would not react but thought I would try and protect the pipes as much as I can. I know that some concrete will still get in contact with the PVC but I don't think it will cause any problems.

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

I wasn't able to do a very good leak test on the plumbing. I filled the pipes up with water and let it sit and couldn't see any level drop in the piping or any leaks. I haven't had PVC pipes leak on me yet (knock on wood) so I hope that I will be ok.

nice job. it looks like the build is coming along nicely. All though I am curious with the plumbing routed like that would gravity alone be able to still push the water back up at the other end @ the sump?

Tom

The vertical pipes aren't cut to the final length yet. The bottom of the display is abot 32" and the sump that it will be draining into has holes in it at 26". I am going to try and use the holes that are already there but if it won't drain well then I can drill new holes

Back