tangs....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

:D Yeah...I went for lunch. Almost got into the dig where all of cool tanks are, but couldn't today. More pics are on my Bahamas thread:)

Last edited:
Ha, just took this picture of my dads naso so i had to post it :lol:

100_0300.jpg

I had a baby "2" yellow tang in a 10 gallon, was only suppose to be temporary, till I put him in the 100 gallon. I wouldn't recommend that size tank
for more than 2-3 weeks. He was an awesome fish, but my son loved him in his room and begged me not to move him, yet, yet, yet, etc. I waited too long and we lost him suddenly.
A couple of months before we lost him, we added a tiny cleaner wrasse, who gave him ick!
A quick fresh water bath about 30-40 seconds cured him instantly. I have had
great luck with this method. Anybody have any other opinions on this method of curing fish? Love those tangs too!

A quick fresh water bath about 30-40 seconds cured him instantly
never heard of a FW dip curing ich.....it can help remove heavy infestations in the gills, but not the ones that are burrowed deeply

Maybe it wasn't ick then. It was all over his fins and body, dots, and he did all the scratching against the rocks, the cleaner wrasse with him introduced it to the tank. All I can say is he was crazy from it, and voluntarily
jumped in the net when I went to catch him. He wanted my help and luckily
it worked. Any suggestions on what it might have been?

I have a yellow tang, a clownfish - red and yellow and a damsel (just one he ate the others) What fish should I buy next? 350 litres set up since August 2006.

Tangs are really impressive but I think butterfly fish are awesome!Harder to keep than tangs but still awesome. I got a yellow tang in my 33gallon tank,thinking of returning him to the fish store come summer coz he's getting large and I feel sorry for him....or her!!Being relatively new to reef keeping,I've luckily had few problems so I feel almost privaledged to own a yellow tang.
My favourite tang has to be the powder blue tho. Hippo tangs and clown tangs are also nice. Neone heard of the rare gem tang??

when you guys say "minimum tank size" for some of these tangs....is it just a certain amout of gallons you're after....or is there a certain length of the tank that's important?

Because it woudl seem you could have a 4ft, 125g tank that was deeper/wider. Would this be a factor to consider as well, or is capacity really the only thing one shoudl be concerned about with tangs?

the "minimun tank size" refers to the standard size that most tanks come in.( 75g-4ft, 125g-6ft, and so on)....water capacity is not so much the issue...the length of the tank is the main concern with them, although i also wouldn't want to have a 6ft tank that was completely loaded with rock!!!! i have seen tanks with so much rock that there was hardly any swimming room

Actually I have gotten rid of some base rock and my yellow tang seems to be much happier. I wish I had a longer tank but for now I have to live with the size I have. My point is my Tang likes the exrta water :)

Debbie the Blue Devil Damsel :badgrin:

the "minimun tank size" refers to the standard size that most tanks come in.( 75g-4ft, 125g-6ft, and so on)....water capacity is not so much the issue...the length of the tank is the main concern with them, although i also wouldn't want to have a 6ft tank that was completely loaded with rock!!!! i have seen tanks with so much rock that there was hardly any swimming room

That's what I suspicioned. So instead of it being a matter of gallons, we really should be saying "this tang needs 5ft of swimming room" and "this tang needs 6 ft. of swimming room"...etc.

It can be confusing anymore with all the custom aquariums that are built. When I started looking at upgrading tanks this year, I was debating tank dimensions. I wondered if a cube tank, or a really deep and wide tank woudl offer enough swimming room for a tang.

Last edited:
Back