Well your going to think I'm crazy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I got all the rock and coral moved over today. Sorry, no pics. No lights yet. Setting those up tomorrow morning. Need to get the good on the tank and then I can mount the lights. I realised that once the hood is on, I wont be able to get in to aquascape so I got that done today. Moving and placing coral could be dificult too. None of the coral is secured yet. Will be able to do that when I have lights and can see how the coral is reacting. Then I can move them and glue them down.

The return pump is loud. I am going to semi box it in. Think I might look for a different one.

would love to see some pics of rocks.. I have started with mine and am looking for good ideas from the big/pro tank builders..

Its an Iwaki MD100RLT

It is hard connected. You think if I was to put some hose between it an the PVC It would quiet down. It doesnt sound like vibration.

If it were me, the moment I thought there was too much noise coming from the return pump, I would attack it with every method I could think of to lessen the noise. Padding under, soft flexable lines in and out, sound deadening material all around.
At this point you are focused ( more than normal) on any noise ( after the stand doors are shut) coming from the pump. So I would let it run for a few hours, then come back and do some other activity and see if you still find it annoying.

Next step?
New pump.

I have it sitting on a rubber mat. Its pushing a lot of micro bubbles into the tank too. I think they are being generated in the pump. Maybe after running for a while it will work itself out.

On a brighter note, I have lights. Over 3/4 of the tank any way. I need to order one more unit.

I am away from home at the moment but I will get pics up later.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I have it sitting on a rubber mat. Its pushing a lot of micro bubbles into the tank too. I think they are being generated in the pump. Maybe after running for a while it will work itself out.

On a brighter note, I have lights. Over 3/4 of the tank any way. I need to order one more unit.

I am away from home at the moment but I will get pics up later.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I am only going to say this cause i was having a bubble issue.. maybe the sump needs more water..Thats what my issue was.. I know you know way more than me but I thought I would say something just incase it was over looked..

@picses, haven't sold it yet, just super frustrated with everything... I wanted to make sure 90 percent of things would go before I got rid of stuff, and my prices ( being what I paid for them from third party even ) must have been too much because the people who emailed me never emailed me back,
I just wanted to be fair and try to have what I spent minus equipment back so when we do get a house we could set back up.

oh well. Do you we tank shots yet?> its the work week did yo uchange some stuff over?
steven

WELL, SO, I figured it out!!! YEA!!!

I was wondering a while back, why there were ball valves on the return lines. Well, now I know why.

I was reading earlier this morning that these pumps can handle back pressure, so on the way home this afternoon it hit me...thats what the ball valves are for.
I closed the valves about 30% and wow! the decible level of the pump dropped 60%. Its almost as quiet as the reef flo dart I had...almost!
And the micro bubbles are gone!

BEFORE

AFTER
This tank is sooooooo SWEEEEET!

Well it is obvious we are not getting the proverbial cloudy tank shot!
Good to hear all you needed to do was turn a valve to silent your pump. That was way to easy.
As always your rock scape rocks. LOL
Sure would be nice to have your hood hooked up to a lift????

One more thing.. What is with the droopy door on the end? New hinge? Adjustment??

Please open the stand doors and give us a shot at the working end of this beautiful MONSTER

Okay,

heres the underbelly

And the lighting. Actually I have no problem getting into the tank with this hood on. I have done a little rearranging of some corals already.

I still need to tidy up the power cords. But I just want to get everthing plugged back in this morning before I left.

I also have some black acrylic that I want to have cut and black out the fresh water top of section. I also need to set my LED from my pico up for the Refugium light.

Last edited:
super cool... super nice.. super huge...

I hope one day to be able to have something this size.. I better start storing up favors to the wife now..

Back