Well your going to think I'm crazy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The heater an power heads and salt are going in today. I was going to put the heater and powerheads in yesterday, but got sidetracked on other projects.

I am not putting much sand in it. It will be added after the rock is in. Rock will probably go in next weekend.

Okay I have two powerheads set in their permanent place. And the heater.
I have an eheim 1262 pump in the tank pumping water thru a filter sock, where I am pouring the salt mix into.
Two bags of salt mixing so far.
Still have about 50 gallons of water to go to fill the tank.

DSC00176_zpsb11ac67d.jpg

Last edited:
Sweeeet! Almost there Lorrie, so should we start making signs for : "I Pisces - Hansville - Public Aquarium" Entrance fee could be 2 cups of salt or a family pkg for 5... lol How is the tank level holding out so far ?

Cheers, Todd

Level is right on.
The water is still 1/16" deeper in the back right corner, but otherwise all other areas are right on.

Only 32 gals to go till it hits the overflows.
Each overflow is going to hold a little over 4 gals. So with that, a total of 40 gals and it will be full.

I've added a total of 4 bags/200 gals worth of salt mix so far. I'll check salinity tomorrow and add what I need.

Are you going to stay up until it is full? We understand , lights out , water off.
Will there be a FULL tank shot before midnight?
Why are you pumping thru the filter sock?

Well, I dont think it will be full by 10pm, so no it will get shut off and finished tomorrow. We have to leave at 5 am for VA Mason. Going to be there all day. Numerous tests and consults. Not looking forward to it.
Anyway, I mix all my salt water by putting the salt in the filter sock and pumping water thru it. I have found quite a bit of debri in the salt mixes. Stuff that probably wouldnt hurt being added to the tank, but I would rather filter it out.

The tank is full, overflows and all.

Plan is to move the rock and coral in over this weekend.

There are currently 4 powerheads and a heater in the tank. It will be good for a few days.

How many days did it take in all?
That was as exciting as watching the grass grow, or watch golf on TV, or watching paint dry. LOL ( havent poked you with a stick lately)

Congrats on the full tank. Did you turn on the return pump yet to check for leaks?
How are you going to produce your cycle?
Are you going Trido's route and have an instant reef?

Oh my gosh, my fish are going to be so happy to get into their new home.
They are being a little testy with each other in their temp home.

That thing looks great.......wish I could have one. Someday......I will........O yes I will. Might be divorced but will have a bigger tank. JK.

Well, I dont think it will be full by 10pm, so no it will get shut off and finished tomorrow. We have to leave at 5 am for VA Mason. Going to be there all day. Numerous tests and consults. Not looking forward to it.
Anyway, I mix all my salt water by putting the salt in the filter sock and pumping water thru it. I have found quite a bit of debri in the salt mixes. Stuff that probably wouldnt hurt being added to the tank, but I would rather filter it out.

I have found debris in salt mixes too. I found sea weed in the red sea mix once.

How many days did it take in all?
That was as exciting as watching the grass grow, or watch golf on TV, or watching paint dry. LOL ( havent poked you with a stick lately)

Congrats on the full tank. Did you turn on the return pump yet to check for leaks?
How are you going to produce your cycle?
Are you going Trido's route and have an instant reef?

Yeah, that took too long. I started filling it what....sunday morning the 24th?

I am counting on the rock being enough and being from my established 180, that it wont have a cycle. I am running it fallow for a few weeks to make sure.
Then I will start adding the fish to it a couple at a time.
But yeah, a lot of coral is going in with the rock.

OH, guess I started filling it on the 31st, so not quite as long as I thought.

Last edited:
hopefully, everything goes perfect for you and your new adventure. good luck with everything

Congrats lorrie! It didn't take no time at all!
what are you going with the 180 once you take all the rock out of it? Starting over?

;Can't wait to see some pictures once you start transfering!

LIED I forgot you were taking it down, :D

Last edited:
Congrats lorrie! It didn't take no time at all!
what are you going with the 180 once you take all the rock out of it? Starting over?

;Can't wait to see some pictures once you start transfering!

LIED I forgot you were taking it down, :D

Yeah, I actually sold it before I took it down. It was gone before this one got here.
Sorry to hear you took your tank down.

Well, gonna be delayed at least a day. I accidentally broke the seal on one of the overflows and it started leaking. So I emptied the overflow and removed the bulkhead. Cleaned up the area. Went and bought some gasket material and made new gasket for it. Reinstalled the bulkhead and so far its holding. I need to glue the pipe back on yet. Will do it later this evening so its set up by tomorrow noon. I want to run some fresh water thru it first before I start moving rock in.

Back