Well your going to think I'm crazy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Filed up the return section and turned on the pump. Pump works, check valve works. no leaks in the return lines. :clap2:

We have water! :D
I am filling the sump part way first to make sure the bulkheads dont leak, then I'll move the water line to the tank.
'
DSC00110_zps5cc4d7ce.jpg

I think I am going to have to get some sound deadening material from work, that is used in engine rooms on boats. The pump is a little loud compared to the one I was using on the 180 for closed loop. That one spoiled me I guess. They should all be that quiet!

So I got the auto top off set up. You know I bought this for the 75, 2 years ago. About time I put it together, wouldn't you say!

DSC00111_zps8c636a26.jpg

Yes its wet because I tested it with an aquarium air pump and a bucket of water.

DSC00112_zps1b94c050.jpg

DSC00113_zpseb6b8e28.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, by the way, I have water over the bulkheads and both sides of the sump are filling up. KNOCK on wood, no leaks...

I haven't seen that product before. Looks pretty slick.
I've worked onboard ships and other types of engine/boiler rooms for decades.
That stuff looks similar to a couple differents I've used, but the thickness was always too thick. Usually in the 2" range.
I use a product called sound board. I found it at Home Depot.
I use it under my sumps and I hang it on my stand doors. Does a ok job.

I have something hanging on the doors now. Not sure what it is. Probably the stuff from home depot. The back of the stand is open and faces the bedroom wall. I will have to cover the back of the stand with something.

All bulkheads in the sump are holding so I moved the water line to the tank
I have over half an inch of water in the tank.

DSC00114_zps00d0d71a.jpg

Next is to add some pieces to the hood to hang the lights from.
Here is the inside of the hood. There used to be 4 250w MH's and 2 6 foot actinic HO bulbs.

DSC00115_zpsf1865542.jpg

Lookin good there Lorie.
Have you ever considered starting a small business "Aquarium Systems Construction Consulting" LOL
Lord knows you have had enough systems to practice on. How many does this make 10?? 15?

BTW please remove the paper tags on the ATO. LOL

Lookin good there Lorie.
Have you ever considered starting a small business "Aquarium Systems Construction Consulting" LOL
Lord knows you have had enough systems to practice on. How many does this make 10?? 15?

BTW please remove the paper tags on the ATO. LOL

LOL...not quite that many.

Oh, the ones that say "Do Not Remove" They are plastic coated. I'll take them off eventually. Before they fall off and get sucked up in to the return pump! :mmph:

Okay, just for your peace of mind peppie, I removed them.

I have 1.25" water in the tank. only 20" more to go.

OMG, thats only 12 gals....this is going to take too long! :pout:

Lorrie, when I filled my 210 and sump last time I by passed the RO unit, replaced the DI cartridge and then added a secondary cartridge and filled up with only DI resin. My TDS was 0 and I had no waste water. I didnt run the water at full speed but it only took about five hours to make 300 gallons of 0 TDS tank water. The DI resin was depleted when the process was done so I hooked the RO back up with new DI and things have been rockin since.

Hmm, thats an idea. I seem to have a lot of sediment in my water though. The sediment filter turns dark brown pretty quickly.
I will need to order another DI refill. Well I need to order all new filters. Maybe I will just bypass the membrane. That will speed things up too.

You know you and I are almost parallel in our build processes, you just have 30 gallons on me lol. I leak tested last week and am ready to dump my water and refill with RODI so I was interested in the idea about bypassing the RO membrane. I just ordered DI resin from BRS, so hopefully will be in this week.

I am really interested in that sound deadening material, can you shoot me a price on a piece of it. I don't need the whole 26 inches by 6 feet, half of that would work.

Ichthys

Last edited:
Back