SANDS 300 Semi-Cubed Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Those Tunze are going to ROCK in the 300. 5,811 GPH EACH!!!!!!! I am only running them at about 1/4 throttle right now if I turn them up anymore I get a huge sandstorm.

Don't let Michael talk you into too much...LOL. When you do start looking for a new camera start at looking on Craigslist. That's where we got our Canon and for very inexspensive too. Michael really wants a Canon 50D, but I just can't force myself to put out like $1400 is what I think it costs new.....YIKES!!

Those corals in the 75g look great and can't wait to see it in the 300. Hopefully we'll get down there before you move everything so we can see the 75 too.

Those zoanthids you got from us look great!! Whenever you need more just let us know. We've got plenty....:)

I need to get out more!!!! That is a really nice tank guys!!!!!! I wish I could have stuck around a little more on Saturday:(:(:(:(

Get the 300 going, then get a new camera.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Again, it was a pleasure meeting up with you folks.

After doing a lot of research into buying my Rebel T1i it also came up that besides the build quality, pentaprism viewfinder, and better autofocusing, and different interface the rebel is actually a better camera then the 50D as far as image quality and high ISO noise reduction goes. Plus the T1i takes video (a nifty gimmick) and the 50D does not. Canon said the 60D would have video, thats probably the pro camera you should go for!

50D has twice the shutter speed, can take almost twice as many shots per second and can take almost twice as many shots, in a maximum burst. It also blows the T1i away, in higher ISO settings. The 50D also has a much longer battery life. But, at under $700.00, AND with HD video capabilities, the Canon T1i is an amazing camera!!!

I really think what a person has to do is look at things and say, do I really need all this??? Honestly, sometimes I wonder why I bought the 40D??? The thing is, if you don't make money taking photographs, what do you REALLY need???

50D has twice the shutter speed, can take almost twice as many shots per second and can take almost twice as many shots, in a maximum burst. It also blows the T1i away, in higher ISO settings. The 50D also has a much longer battery life. But, at under $700.00, AND with HD video capabilities, the Canon T1i is an amazing camera!!!

I can agree with you about the burst speed and capacity (6.3 fps is very sick), but I have read many reviews and seen multiple side by side shots from the T1i that shows them having roughly the same noise in lower ISOs and the T1i edging out over the 50D in ISO 1600 and above (The T1i also has the exact same ISO range of 100-12,800). This is because Canon came out with a new noise reduction algorithm after the release of the 50D. All that being said I don't think I'll ever want to shoot at ISO 1600 or above, but in my opinion unless I was shooting lots of sport pictures in a bright outdoor stadium where 1/8000 shutter speed and 6.3fps would be useful the T1i is basically the exact same performance for $400 less.

Scott, I'm selling my old dSLR camera, an original Canon Digital Rebel. Compared to the new cameras it is slower, doesn't have good ISO performance over 800, but it does have a great 6.3 mpixel sensor and takes great still images. All of the pictures up through the Georgia Aquarium on my build thread were taken with that camera. The best news of all, i'm selling it cheap ;).

Hey Alex I sent you a PM. Let me know what you have. Thanks. I don't think that I need to be spending close to $1000 dollars on just a body!!! I like to take pictures but not that much!!!!!

I bought a Canon T1i and I LOVE IT!!!!! I am still looking for my Macro lens but I also shoot my daughters Softball games. When I am on time with the shot they are amazing!!!

T1i is WELL worth the money if you ask me. My main issue was price and I could not see spending $400.00 to $500.00 more for a camera that was not as good IMO.

Well I guess it is time for a little update. Not much work getting done on the tank but the basement where it is going to be is finally coming along nicely.
Before.
house012.jpg

house014.jpg

house015.jpg

We are also replacing the carpet with laminate and we found some carpet under the top layer that we thought about keeping.

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

But then we decided against that idea!!!
We had some help pulling up the old carpet

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

Back