No more conflicts of interest!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

A couple new shots, check out the angel!

toadstool.jpg

digitata.jpg

mushrooms.jpg

pinkzoas.jpg

AND........ My best photo yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ebliangle.jpg

Mark, Ive been trying to remember all morning. I think it was two 30lb bags of large particle seaflor, and one 30lb bag of a finer sand. Then I mixed it all up. Im pretty happy with it.

Yeah it's still small enough for them to sift. I'm typing from an iPhone right now but when I get back to a PC I'll tell ya alittle more about my experience with it.

oh yeah! for sure your camera skill is getting better and better eveytime you posted,,fish shots are very nice ,,BTW you tank is looking great,,,keep on going(kinda like your rock scape so diffrent than others),,cheer:)

Last edited:
I want some sand sifting gobies... do you have any experience with them in this substrate?

Ok, the only thing I was going to add is there is a small about of maintnance involved. My sifter goby, seahare, and sea cucumber keep the sand white. The problem is in the front corners of the tank. The flow seems to naturally sift out the finer particles and all that's left is largers stuff. It looks bad I think so a about once a week I have to kinda push the sand back into the corners. It not a huge dust storm or anything. You cant even tell it's sifting out the small stuff.

So if you don't mind having to do that once a week, then I'd say go for it. That mixture is the best look IMO.

UPDATE!

Just thought I would update this thread.

I have been using only my sump return as my source of flow the entire time this tank has been up. I finally added some tunze flow :).

Two tunze 6100 powerheads (3200 gph each)
Two tunze magnet mounts
One tunze 7095 multicontroller with a photocell and moonlight for night mode

Man it jams. I am loving all the flow. Near as I can tell there are no dead spots. The sand is creating some problems but my hope is it will settle.

I also ordered my new lighting that should be here tuesday next week.

I am going to continue using the lumen bright wide reflectors.

I am down grading from 400w HQI to 250w regular ballasts.

I am currently running 400w SE helios 20K's and am switching to 250w SE XM 20ks which should be far more blue and hopefully not as bright!

Finally I thought I'd list my livestock......... Flame away! LOL

Blue tang
Yellow tang
Yellow eye tang
Powder brown tang
Copperband butterfly
(4) Chromis
Mated pair of percula clowns
Dragon sifter goby
Midas blenny
Cherib angle
Eblie angle
Purple firefish
and a yellow clown goby.

I tossed in three peppermint shrimp to assist in aptasia control.
There is a yellow striped coral banded shrimp
and a tiger cucumber, a sea hare and a sea apple.

I take the Steven11 approach to reef keeping. Overstock, Overfeed, and act like its all good!

Oh and the eblie angle is gone soon. Ive been trying to trap him this week. The foxface is already gone as I was able to trap him the first night.

Back